Sunday, November 9, 2008

White, Fluffy, and Frigid

People that love spring will be waiting impatiently for the season to be over. People that love summer detest the word itself. People that love fall will be dreading the beginning of it. And the people that love this season can't describe with words how anxious they will be for it to get here. They'll be doing anything from having snowball fights to shredding the white capped mountains while everyone else is sitting at home bummed out. If you haven't figured it out already, I'm talking about the season winter. Winter is finally emerging, and I, like many other lovers of snow, can't wait for the season to get here already. The first snowfalls of fall have already made their appearances, teasing me to the point where I have to watch snowboarding videos every time I see a snowflake. I just started snowboarding last year, and I couldn't get enough of it. I couldn't stand to see the snow slowly melt away. The base of the amazement of the season was slowly bleeding out, dieing in front of me. It's also a season of investment for those who take pleasure in staring at the cold hard numbers of their company's cash flow storming in. Winter is a time for huge investment and profit for big snowboarding companies. A piece of plastic that attaches you to your snowboard costs about $100 too much, but they have to make a profit somehow. It snowed today. That's why I was so urged to write about the upcoming season. Although none of it stuck, the important part is that it snowed glorious, white, puffy snowflakes. Just one step closer to actually getting on the mountain and tearing it up. The wait is what makes it better when it gets here anyways. I'm definitely willing to wait for this year's season, impatiently, but willingly. I have a feeling it'll be amazing when it finally arrives.

5 comments:

Brandon said...

I'm excited for winter to get here, too. I think the great thing about living where we do is the dramatic variation between seasons. Just when you're getting tired of the hot summer, you know that pretty soon snowy winter will arrive, and vice versa. Even though some other places, like San Diego, have consistently better weather than we do, all the seasons are the same. That's why I like the weather here and, like you, can't wait for that first big snowfall of winter.

Meghan said...

I can't agree more with being anxious for the winter season. Although, I personally favor skiing since I have been doing it since I was two. I have a feeling Chiacgo will have a good amount of snow fall this year which would make it awesome to hit up the slopes. I feel snowboards tear up the mountain a bit so we might not be out of the same mountains, but we share similar interests. GO SNOW!

Rshibu's bLoG :] said...

Winter is one of my favorite seasons. I love to see snow falling; clinging onto trees and covering bushes and houses. I like the fact that it looks like we stepped into a snowglobe. Also it sets the mood for the holidays.

smiddleton said...

Winter is finally here but I haven't seen enough snow for my liking yet! I've always wanted to try snowboarding, but I am prone to injury and I have been advised not to try anything new quite yet! Winter is a season that makes me so happy, with the holiday season and the beautiful snow, I don't understand why the media puts such negative connotations on the season! Maybe this global warming will give us some more snow (and snow days?) in the future.

Brad Wilson said...

EPIC photo! The snowboarder is probably just doing a handstand on top of a jump, but it still looks amazing. :)

I love the winter too and snowboarding is my favorite sport. I have been doing it for 10 or 11 years now (cannot remember which).