Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cramming Before the Test

I was cramming for a quiz today right before I took it, and I started to wonder how much this was really helping me, if it was at all. Many students cram for exams at the last minute, and I was curious as to how this worked and if this really even helped. So I researched this when I got home, and I found that many website who had stated that cramming isn't a good way to study for an exam at all. Although cramming can get you the 'B' or maybe even that 'A' for this quiz or test, in the long run you will suffer for it. Cramming is pretty self-explanatory, you basically cram as much information as you can into your short term memory without much time for practiced study. Since some people do have a very sharp short term memory, cramming works for them better than others without one. Although they might do very well on the current quiz or test, when it comes to the semester exam the student will have forgotten almost all the information that they had crammed for previous exams. So while cramming may seem to work at the moment, in the long term you will greatly suffer.
Try these websites below for a little more information about cramming and how it's not an effective way of studying in the long run.
http://www.worldwidelearn.com/education-advisor/questions/does-cramming-for-tests-work.php
http://learningdisabilities.about.com/od/instructionalmaterials/qt/cramming.htm

1 comment:

Jamie Tolmatsky said...

I agree with your post Anthony. I think sometimes when you're really stressed it's hard to avoid cramming, but when it comes to finals that is terrible study habit. I think it's important for students to remember exactly what you've said, and that it's about learning the subject matter; not just memorizing nonsense.
I found this site: http://www.letscram.com/ which somewhat relates to your blog post. Check it out :)